Date: Friday, October 28th, 2022
Time: 12pm – 3pm
Point of Contact:
Do you know your status? Stop by the Alameda Apartments during our Free Rapid HIV and Hep-C testing and education event in part of our “Taking the Test with Gilead” Initiative. Testing is safe, private, and confidential, and every individual tested will receive a $10 gift card. No appointment necessary – walk-ins welcome.
In this session, you will learn to:
- Recognize how Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) are passed from person to person, and ways to be proactive about sexual health.
- Understand that getting tested for HIV or other STI’s is an essential part of sexual health.
- Find out ways to talk about sexual health with a partner/partners as well as a healthcare provider.
HIV IN BLACK COMMUNITIES
In this session, you will learn to:
- Discuss the unfair impact that HIV has on Black people in the United States, talk about some of the reasons for it, share how Black people living with HIV can live longer and healthier lives, and learn what you can do to help create a brighter future.
- “Black America has been left behind at each step in the national response to HIV,” the Black AIDS Institute asserts in its 2020 strategic blueprint, We the People: A Black Strategy to End HIV. “But if we hope to end HIV, Black communities can’t be left behind again.”
- Learn more about HIV in Black communities to better understand the special issues unique to Black America and how we can work together to come up with solutions.
- Discuss the importance of getting into HIV care and starting HIV medicines as soon as possible after being diagnosed, setting goals, and sticking to your HIV treatment plan.
During the month of October, HOPE Across the Globe, Inc. (HATG) is hosting a series of free, confidential HEP-C and HIV testing events at apartment communities located in zip codes 32205, 32207, and 32209 within the Jacksonville market with a $4000 sponsorship from Gilead 1. The purpose of this initiative is to educate, test, and offer the initiation of preventative services (care services if necessary) to residents in the convenience of their available community centers.
FREE, CONFIDENTIAL HIV/HEP-C TESTING WILL BE AVAILABLE FROM 12-3PM.
The testing events will offer attendees education (to either be presented by Gilead rep or HATG staff member) 2. Those attending education session will receive a ticket to redeem. After completion of the education session, attendees will be able to redeem the tickets to receive supplied refreshments/meal (TBD) 3. Education session should be expected to run a minimum of 30 minutes.
Individuals tested will receive a $10 gift card.
As extra incentive to be tested, attendees that test will also receive a “ticket” to dine out with HATG & Gilead for conversation & complimentary dinner (November date and restaurant 4 TBD).
As an extra incentive to attend the dinner, attendees will receive a raffle ticket at the dinner. During the dinner, there will be three raffles for valued items 5.
FIRST PRIZE – Toshiba 50-inch Class C350 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV (50C350KU, 2021 Model) – $300 Value
SECOND PRIZE – Toshiba 50-inch Class C350 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV (50C350KU, 2021 Model) – $300 Value
THIRD PRIZE – $300 Amazon Gift Card
For more information about all the events, please contact Brandon Montanez by phone or text at 904-676-2214, or email at [email protected].
1 Amount approved for this initiative will be used to cover costs of refreshments/meals provided at events as well as the items in the promotional raffle. Gilead will cover cost for the dining out event. 2 Gilead rep has schedule conflicts that will not allow him to attend all events. Rep will likely attend event scheduled for 10/27. 3 Refreshments are specifically for those attending the education session and will not be served until the end of the education session. Attendees may test during the education session but would need to attend remainder of education after testing if it is still actively in session. No testing and grabbing a meal to go while education session is active. 4 Restaurant Suggestions: We are looking for restaurants where attendees will feel comfortable attending. Restaurants located within the Town Center are not ideal and should not be suggested. 5 For security purposes, large items won in the raffle will be delivered or available for pick up from the office next day.